Making decisions that will impact your life for a whole 4 years is a tough one..
I believe those in science, especially students, will face this challenge and question on "How am I supposed to know this lab is great for me?" "Is this a perfect match?" "Can I have chemistry with my boss?""Is the lab envi great?""How's the lab culture?""Got directions a not?""The boss is female or male??" bla bla bla...
I'm facing this challenge now...many times, is a totally different perspective an outsider has as compared to an insider. unless you're in it, or else you wont know. I totally agree with this. Well, to recall, out of the few labs which I've been in, not all are perfect matches. maybe perfect is never to exist. There were occasions which I thought I was a little too naive to believe what I've heard, hence make a hasty decision which turn up to be a tough time~ Fortunately for now though, rotations came in handy for us before we commit to a chosen lab. For me, lab culture is equally important as the interest. Heard a lot of advice for the past week on making this critical decisions. Eg. "Talk to the postdocs..talk to the RAs...look at their body language"..i thought that was pretty interesting..but how to know if they are talking the truth or just..simply...the other hand?..tat's the tough part!
lessons are on the roll...with exams so often and plenty of materials to mug which all of us are already hoping for the 1 week break to come quick!...well, it has to take time for some adjustments indeed..teaching style is totally new..even the profs are adapting..what's more the students~
one thing ive learnt in this week..some things are meant to be if it's just fated for you..learning to be optimistic, both me and dear are hoping for a miracle to happen and really hope it does!
Fitness, skill, intelligence..not just in football...but also essential in Life!
No comments:
Post a Comment