I get to know of umbilical fistula when I visited the doc yesterday.
I'm not sure how dangerous is this. but leaving it there seems to pose a life-time bomb.
For the past year, at times, I experienced some discharge at my belly button. Which my parents and I thought is just probably not cleaning well enough. This discharge usually emits a stinky smell that smells to me like shit.. For the past few occurences, I wiped it off, cleaned it well, and ignored its implications.
This time, the discharge comes alongside with major skin irritation and rash on the stomach.The itch to me is unbearable and hence I decide to see the doc. Doc suspects it's a case of umbilical fistula, where there is an abnormal connection from my abdomen to the skin surface. Usually during birth, once the umbilical cord drops off, the umbilicus connection will also disintegrate and the abdomen is not exposed to the external environment. However, for umbilical fistula, it means that this connection is still not removed due to defects in development once after birth. As one's immunity falls, one is more susceptible to infection. Is like an open wound of the abdomen to the external envi, not healing without a proper block.
Doc recommends surgery as the treatment alongside with anti-microbial medications to stop the current bacteria infection. The skin itches until I feel like cursing at times. To waive off some hefty charges of medical costs, it's best to visit a polyclinic to get a referral letter 1st before going to a specialist.
Is the doc exagerrating my condition or am I choosing to ignore my problem?
To be honest, I'm a little scared at this word"surgery"...but i reckon is probably a safe operation to protect myself...
I'm still thinking whether to go for it while praying hard the skin irritation will STOP as i cant tolerate nights of all these!!
No comments:
Post a Comment